Have you ever seen crocodiles up close? If you are planning to come to this amazing city, we have a great place for you to visit! It’s Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures”. It is an award-winning farm and sanctuary for Crocodiles. Crocodiles are bred and raised here for their skin and meat. Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is the no. 1 tourist attraction of Port Douglas region. It is located in Wangetti, approximately 40 kilometres from Cairns Airport. It is the best place to visit if you want to see native wildlife up close. This crocodile farm was made by Pop Evans in the year 1935. This is the oldest attraction in the Cairns region. Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is based on 10 hectares of land. You must visit this farm if you want to get a unique and one-of-a-kind experience.
After arriving in Cairns, you can take a taxi from Cairns Airport to Port Douglas. Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is approximately 27 kilometres away from Port Douglas and it will take up to 30 minutes to get there. If you make a booking at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures beforehand, they offer pick-up service from some hotels in Cairns at appropriate prices. You just need to contact the operator after booking to confirm your pick-up location and time. The pass to the farm does not cost much and includes one twenty-minute boat ride. There are special passes available for couples and families as well.
The farm has five different ecological zones.
1. Hartley’s Lagoon: This is the no. 1 spot to see the crocodiles up close. You can take a cruise here to observe crocodiles in the wetland.
2. Wildlife Discovery Trail: You can take a walk on this trail to view crocodiles and colorful birds. Then venture into the Gallery of Living Art, and see the snakes and lizards.
3. Gondwana Gateway: You can learn about the evolution of Australia’s most fascinating animals.
4. Cassowary Walk: View intriguing endangered birds here and learn about their importance.
5. Hartley’s Creek Crocodile Farm: Take a tour of the farm and learn about the importance of crocodile farming.
There are broad walks and pathways of 2500 metres which allow visitors to explore the farm and learn how these pre-historic creatures are bred and raised. You can find not only crocodiles but many other animals too. There is an entire enclosure of koalas. You can feed or cuddle a koala and can also take souvenir photos.
Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures offers live crocodile shows throughout the day. If you go there, do not miss the crocodile attack shows. It features massive crocodiles snapping food from a pole and showing- off their infamous tricks. You can also pole-feed the freshwater crocodiles here. This is the place where you can enjoy and learn as well about crocodiles and their farming. Hartley’s Crocodile Adventure is family-friendly and can be visited by both adults and children.